PIXO turned to QAwerk for help with Android app testing. They’ve had plenty of experience with launching iOS apps and wanted to replicate that success for their Android counterparts. PIXO aspired to scale and grow their business by launching existing apps on Google Play. Since they’ve had significantly less experience with developing & testing Android apps compared to iOS solutions, they made a reasonable decision to strengthen their delivery team.
PIXO was explicitly looking for a QA agency that was not only a pro in Android app testing but also had a track record of testing apps with similar or the exact same functionality. QAwerk happened to be the right fit as we’ve tested hundreds of design editors within our Bug Crawl initiative and have a long-standing partnership with Unfold, a billion-user content creation platform.
We were responsible for ensuring the Logo Maker Shop app for Android matches the following requirements:
- Runs smoothly on all devices. Testing Android apps is more challenging than testing iOS apps due to disparate screen resolutions and sizes of Android devices. Our task was to ensure Logo Maker Shop is fully optimized for several commonly used Android smartphones and the latest OSs.
- Brings joy to customers. How do you turn an average experience into a satisfying user journey? By scrutinizing all functionality – from common paths to unlikely, yet still possible scenarios. Our goal was to thoroughly test the app from the tester’s and user’s points of view.
- Google-Play-ready. Preparing the app for launch on Google Play with subsequent distribution in several countries was the final deliverable. The first impression matters a lot, and we needed to do our part to make it positive.
Our QA team was also tasked with creating the test documentation from scratch and updating it on time as we moved forward with the project.
QAwerk performed several types of testing to ensure the build matches the specs, is stable, and is ready to be launched. We used only real devices to guarantee the high accuracy of our reports.
- Functional Testing. We checked if no bugs arose with adding text, images, objects, or changing color, among other actions. We ensured subscriptions work as intended, and no premium content is available in a free version.
- Compatibility Testing. This one is a must for Android apps targeting an international user base. We tested Logo Maker Shop on 7 devices and 6 latest Android versions to see how well the app is adapted to different hardware and software.
- UI Testing. We compared Logo Mager Shop’s screens with the given UI designs to ensure the design implementation is accurate and everything is consistent.
- Retesting. All the bugs reported by us and later fixed by PIXO’s developers were immediately retested to verify they’re indeed eliminated.
- Regression Testing. The build we received was not fully finished; additional functionality, such as the subscription module, was added as we started testing. So we conducted several rounds of regression tests before finally uploading the app to Google Play.
Since there was no readily-available test documentation for Logo Maker Shop’s Android version, we wrote all the test cases from the ground up. In most scenarios, the user flow was identical to the iOS one, so we based our test cases on that. Some of the specific requirements were written as comments to Figma screens, while others were provided upon our request as we filled the gaps and finalized the documentation.
Most serious bugs we found were related to the exporting logo functionality and subscriptions. We also stumbled upon many crashes.
Actual result: Subscription plans are not displayed.
Expected result: The user sees a pop-up with subscription plans.
Actual result: The user can save pro-version logos.
Expected result: The user can’t save a pro logo without subscription.
Actual result: The app crashes.
Expected result: The logo is saved to the device gallery. The user is redirected to Logo Editor.
In about two months, we helped the PIXO team prepare for the release of Logo Maker Shop on Google Play. The result of our work can be seen in a decent overall ranking, the prevailing majority of five-star user reviews, and a growing number of installs. Logo Maker Shop is already enjoyed by 10K users, and we believe it will catch up with its iOS counterpart pretty fast.
Looking to launch app smoothly?Let’s talk
QAwerk Team Comments
My first assignment was to prepare test documentation and describe the already developed functionality. We performed regression testing for every new build and added test cases for new functionality. Having an abundant choice of test devices at our disposal helped us detect numerous bugs. I reported issues with payments and several crashes, but with the joint effort of both teams, we achieved great app stability by the release day. The team’s commitment and the number of interesting features the app offers were key motivation drivers for me throughout the project.
Related in Blog
Right from the start, we are set to announce that there is no single all-purpose test case type. However, there is an easy-to-follow set of practices and solutions that, when implemented properly, will result in a good one. We’ve put together the test case writing best practice...Read More
Bug tracking, reporting and fixing are integral processes in software development. Among all of these tasks, reporting may seem to be the least important one, but it isn’t like that. The better the report is, the faster the bug gets fixed. In turn, if the report doesn’t provi...Read More
Mobile app testing's importance is no longer a subject for discussion as more and more businesses now understand their commercial success equals the quality of their software. Living in the era of new mobile apps appearing almost every day, consumers get used to experimenting wit...Read More
Developers often view app performance testing as a necessary evil. It is undoubtedly a complicated, time-consuming, and costly process. But why is mobile performance testing so crucial? This question reminds me of my favorite quote by Ian Molyneaux: “If an end user percei...Read More
Transformed a crashy storymaker into a robust app recognized by AppleGoogleand Squarespace
Helped #1 social fitness app in UK transition from MVP to Premium with subscriptions growing daily
Helped #1 finance management app in Africa eliminate bugs and become Mastercard Principal Member